Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Does Happiness = Job Satisfaction

When blogging as a member of the ASQ Influential Voices team I begin by saying ASQ CEO Paul Borawski in his blog A View from the Q asked the question...so why should this month be any different...this month Paul talks about Happiness and Job Satisfaction.

 
I will start with a few definitions from Merriam-Webster on-line dictionary

     hap·pi·ness noun \ˈha-pē-nəs\
1: British : that is for hire for a given service or period British
          1 obsolete : good fortune : prosperity
          2 a : a state of well-being and contentment : joy
             b : a pleasurable or satisfying experience
    work noun \wərk\
          activity in which one exerts strength or faculties to do or perform something:
          a : sustained physical or mental effort to overcome obstacles and achieve an objective or result
          b : the labor, task, or duty that is one's accustomed means of livelihood 
          c : a specific task, duty, function, or assignment often being a part or phase of some larger activity
    job adj
         
         2: used in, engaged in, or done as job work individual is with his or her job. The happier people are within their job, the more satisfied they are said to be. Logic would dictate that the most satisfied (“happy”) workers should be the best performers and vice versa.
         3: of or relating to a job or to employment

    sat·is·fac·tion noun \ˌsa-təs-ˈfak-shən\
         a : fulfillment of a need or want
         b : the quality or state of being satisfied : contentment
         c : a source or means of enjoyment : gratification


 

I digress - Webster does not have a definition for Job Satisfaction but they do have a definition for another type of 'Job'...something you might do to create a glass bottle.

From Wikipedia - Job satisfaction describes how content an


Now the question is, what do I think?!?!
Let me begin by stating something that I have always said about my career as a Quality Professional, "I love what I do but I don't always like where I am doing it".  Does this make me a happy worker.  Not always.  Happiness and Job Satisfaction and closely linked and have multiple variables such as:
  • Is the work itself satisfying?
  • Do I enjoy the environment in which I am performing my work?
  • Do I enjoy the company of the people I am working with?
  • What is the culture of the organization and do I fit into that culture?
  • It the organization progressive?
  • Am I making a difference in the organization?
And there are some soft variables that have effected my satisfaction including:
  • the commute (is it too long?)
  • the external environment to the facility (can I find a decent place or places for lunch or do I have to bring it with me?)
  • the benefits (enough vacation time, flexible schedules, is it financially satisfying?)
  • is there room for personal and professional growth
Currently, I am happy with my job. 
  • The job itself presents many challenges. 
  • I enjoy the team with which I am working.
  • I feel I am adding value while improving my own skills.
  • There are many frustrations that I face daily, however, these frustrations are the ingredients for making the job a challenge and providing me with satisfaction.
If it were easy they'd get someone else to do it!

1 comment:

  1. Paul, have you tried to work with different people that might get sooo angry from you coz you did not approve their multiple vacations during the week!!, hence make team of uncooperative personnel and stop ur work?!! if you are satisfied by your work and pretty know you are doing the right thing for your company, there are some corrupted personnel that make your life not that good, it is reflected on your satisfaction rate. it happens in some managerial work.

    ReplyDelete