Sunday, January 13, 2013

How to define Quality

Happy New Year readers!

In my first post for 2013 I will attempt to take on the challenge from Paul Borawski in ASQ's A View from the Q to define Quality.  So here we go...

Quality is...

Am I done?  I don't think so, but it is a good start.  The reason ask if I am done is that in my opinion quality cannot have one single definition.  It is the qualifying aspects of the word Quality that make one single definition impossible.

I have always favored two definitions:
  • Quality is User Defined.
  • Quality is meeting the needs and expectations of the customer.
However, beyond these 2 definitions are hundreds...all resulting in the same meaning.

When attempting to define Quality we must add a qualifying word like:
  • Product
  • Process
  • Service
Furthermore, we also must consider:
  • the customer
  • the consumer
  • the end user
  • the industry
  • the use
  • the purpose
  • the economy
Hence, as previousely stated, it is the qualifying aspects of the word Quality that make one single definition impossible.

No comments:

Post a Comment